I simply love picking, eating and baking with blueberries. I have found that my Blueberry Breakfast Cake recipe works extremely well for my muffins. It is often requested by family and friends.
Since the wild blueberries are ready to be picked, it only means the cultured berries will soon follow. Nothing better on a summer morning, than to enjoy one of my blueberry muffins!! Enjoy!!
1/2 c unsalted butter (I used dairy free spread)
2 tsp lemon zest (zest from lg lemon) – optional
1 c sugar, plus 2 tbls for sprinkling on the top after it’s in the pan
1 tsp Vanilla
2 c gluten free all purpose flour (reg. flour can be used if you don’t have gluten issues)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum (not needed if you use reg. flour)
1 tsp salt
2 cups fresh blueberries (I’m sure one could use frozen ones…I plan to this winter)
1/2 c almond coconut milk (or soy). If you do not have milk allergies, buttermilk is the alternative
1. preheat oven to 350
2. cream spread w/lemon zest & sugar until light and fluffy
3. add egg & vanilla and beat until combined
4. Mix all dry ingredients then fold into the wet ingredients, alternating w/the almond milk
5. Fold in 1/2 the blueberries
6. prepare 9″ x 9″ glass pan w/either cooking spray or milk free spread
7. pour batter into pan
8. Top the batter w/remaining sugar, or up to 2 Tbls
9. Bake for 35 min. Ck w/toothpick. I had to cook another 6 min. Depending on your stove, you might need to cook up to another 10 min.
10…let cool for 15 min before serving.