My friend Ruth asked if I could alter a recipe that she had to make a deep fried chicken with a crispy coating like Kentucky Fried Chicken. Although frying is not necessarily the healthiest way to consume our food, we can certainly make choices that will contribute in a positive way towards good health.
I personally am not able to eat gluten, milk or egg in my meals due to allergies, so it was nice to be able to modify that resulted in an amazing piece of chicken. I hope you enjoy it as well.
It really is amazing! Even my husband was asking the next night as to when I would be making this again. And for those who love KFC, this is a much healthier option.
Gluten, Milk & Egg Free Crispy Fried Chicken
By: Laura D. Field
- 4 – 6 boneless, grass fed chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp The vegg (egg replacer)
- 1/4 c. filtered water
- (Note: if you do not have egg allergies, use 1 beaten egg in place of The Vegg and filtered water)
- 1/2 c. all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. minced onion
- 1/4 tsp. celery salt
1. Mix all dry ingredients along with the filtered water and set aside.
NOTE: If you can have eggs, take one egg and coat your chicken before coating with your dry ingredients.
2. In large wok or deep skillet begin to heat your olive oil on low-med.
3. Rinse, clean off your chicken
4. Take cleaned chicken and dip and cover with the dry mix. Coat heavily!!
5. Be sure to use the tins of your fork and make holes in your chicken to allow for thorough cooking
6. Place your coated chicken pieces in the hot oil.
7. Brown the chicken in the oil slowly, uncovered, and turning often in order to cook through evenly.
8. Once browned and cooked through. I cut through each piece to be sure their is no pink meat inside.
9. Cover the skillet and keep frying on low until the chicken is fully cooked.
10. If you find that your pieces have too much oil, then place on a paper towel to drain. I did not have this problem.
Serve with your favorite vegetables or side dish.
I enjoyed a light salad and a side of unsweetened applesauce (you can make this easily from scratch).
Enjoy and be sure to share your feedback.
Laura – Gluten and Milk Free Lifestyle
Laura D. Field
Reflective Tapestry of Life
Writer, Blogger, Proofreading & editing, Freelance contributor