A very light, moist and enjoyable cake that one can enjoy for breakfast with a side dish of fruit, for brunch with a cup of tea, or even as a dessert. Baking in a Bundt pan, topping with confectionary sugar, makes for a lovely presentation.
Gluten and Milk Free Applesauce Cake
By: Laura D. Field – Gluten & Milk Free Lifestyle
- Nonstick spray (coconut spray adds a nice flavor)
- 2 3/4 c. Gluten Free, all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. Xanthan gum
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. table salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1/2 Tbps. Chia seed
- 1 cup non-dairy butter substitute
- 2 c. light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 c. no-sugar-added applesauce
- Powdered sugar, optional
Special equipment: Bundt cake pan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a Bundt pan with nonstick spray.
- Mix gently together the flour, baking soda, xanthan gum, cinnamon, salt, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and chia seed in a large bowl. I used my Kitchen Aid mixer.
- Mix together the milk-free butter substitute, brown sugar, eggs and applesauce.
- Be careful to not over mix.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared Bundt pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, 55 minutes.
- When removed from oven I sprinkle the confectionary sugar, although this is really the base of the cake.
- Cool completely before inverting. Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar.
This cake will be enjoyed by many, even the gluten free skeptics will enjoy this and go for seconds.
Enjoy and be sure to share your feedback.
Laura – Gluten and Milk Free Lifestyle
Laura D. Field
Reflective Tapestry of Life
Writer, Blogger, Proofreading & editing, Freelance contributor