GLUTEN & MILK FREE CINNAMON ROLLS
Pre-heat oven to 350 degree F – Makes 2 pans of approximately 16 rolls. Consider using half to make the Jam/Jelly filled Danish (The Jam/Jelly Danish recipe to follow in a future post)
- Set aside eggs to bring to room temperature.
- Heat coconut milk on your stovetop (or 90 seconds in the microwave) – Do not scald!!
- Add Earth Balance butter substitute in pieces, sugar & salt to hot milk and mix until Earth Balance is melted, then let cool.
- In a separate bowl, combine warm water, yeast and sugar, let rest 5 min to allow yeast to foam
- While milk mixture cools and yeast is being activated, mix flour and xanthan gum.
- Add eggs, cooled milk mixture and yeast mixture to flour mix.
- Mix well.
- Place 1/2 the mixture on a 3′ piece of plastic wrap.
- Cover with another piece of 3′ piece of plastic wrap.
- Flatten the dough between the plastic wrap (the plastic wrap works fabulously in any bread type recipe, allowing you to use your rolling pin to flatten and spread mixture evenly. Your dough should be spread to create approximately 10″ x 20″ pastry piece.
- Remove the top layer of plastic wrap carefully
- Now prepare your Cinnamon-Sugar mix by melting 1/4 c butter and adding in your 3/4c of brown sugar and 2 Tbls of cinnamon.
- Spread your cinnamon mix over the dough, leaving 1-2 inches around the edges.
- Using the plastic wrap, gently roll the dough, pulling the plastic wrap back as you go along, forming a log.
- Flatten the edges to make things neat and even.
- Place in baking pan
- Spray another piece of plastic wrap with coconut oil spray and place over your danish.
- Let sit in a warm location for 30-45 minutes to allow it to rise. Do not expect it to double in size, but you will see a noticeable rise in your dough.
- Once cooled, slice into 16 pieces of pastry rolls.
- Repeat with other dough. Or, if you are interested, you could make a Jam/Jelly Danishes with the second pastry…yummy…will post that recipe soon.
- Bake at 350 degree F for 25-30 min until nicely browned.
- Set cookie sheet/baking dish on wire rack to cool
- Once cooled, serve “as is” or spread Earth Balance. My daughter said it needs the drizzle…so, one friend shared to make a drizzle with confectionary sugar and lemon juice. I’m thinking of trying it with Almond Coconut milk. I’ll post an update with the results.
Reflective Tapestry of Life
Writer, Blogger, Proofreading, Editing, Freelance contributor