One of my favorite breakfast foods are home made home fries. I used to make these frequently early in our marriage, using butter for frying along with adding eggs to the mixture. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, I now need to stay clear from the casein in milk, so I have had to come up with an alternate option to enjoy them without using butter.
This morning, after reading some health benefits of oregano, I decided to sauté a red potato that included the use of oregano, along with garlic and olive oil. It turned out quite tasty!
Normally I would have had eggs with the potatoes along with some ketchup, yet the eggs have proven to be aggravating to my stomach, so I am working on alternate meals without them. Instead of eggs, I decided that I would enjoy this “comfort” food, flavored with healthy spices and oil, with fruit on the side. Today I chose sliced banana, with a 1/2 glass of pomegranate juice. Other fruit choices that would go nicely would be sliced apple or possibly an orange.
Although I miss having the egg with the potatoes, in adding the large mushroom I am getting a healthy source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Vitamin C, Folate, Iron, Zinc and Manganese, Vitamin D, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Copper and Selenium.
Sautéed Red Breakfast Potatoes
Gluten Free ~ Dairy Free ~ Egg Free ~ Sugar Free
Serves 1 (easily doubles for 2 servings) ~ Time: 25-30 minutes
- 1 small-medium-sized red potatoes cut into small bite sized pieces
- 1 med-large mushroom (chopped/diced mushroom)
- 1 small onion diced (or 1 Tbsp. dried onions)
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. Oregano (ground ~ fresh is better)
- 1 small crushed garlic clove (or 1 tbsp. already diced garlic)
- Himalayan or Sea salt (optional)
- Black pepper
- Dice potato, onion and mushroom
- In skillet heat olive oil and add in onion and crushed garlic until lightly browned
- Add in diced potatoes and mushrooms and brown potatoes are fork tender (about 5-8 min)
- Add in oregano, salt and pepper and continue browning on low for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with favorite fruit on the side
Enjoy and be sure to share your feedback.
Laura – Gluten and Milk Free Lifestyle
Laura D. Field
Reflective Tapestry of Life
Writer, Blogger, Proofreading & editing, Freelance contributor