During the summer months, those who garden with success can be overrun with zucchini. My husband came home from work with large zucchini, gifted from his boss, that for me are too big for stir fries and kabobs. What I do with these “thick mini-baseball bats” is peel them, and before processing through the food processor, I remove all the insides that are filled with seeds.
Today I made Zucchini Bar Cake that turned out quite exceptional. My husband is not a great fan of zucchini cake, but eats it, found that this was quite good. I think the spice frosting (recipe to follow next) I made, added a touch of sweetness that was perfect for him.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as well. Please note that one does not have to add the spice frosting, as the cake is quite delicious without it.
Zucchini Bar Cake
By Laura D. Field of Gluten and Milk Free Lifestyle
- 2/3 c packed brown sugar
- 1/4 c Earth Balance milk free spread
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
- 1 egg (2 tsp. egg substitute)
- 1 c all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 c shredded zucchini, drained
- 1/2 c chopped nuts (optional)Directions
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and sides of 9- or 8-inch square pan.
- In large bowl, mix brown sugar, butter, vanilla and egg.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon cloves.
- Stir in zucchini and nuts.
- Spread in pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Cut into 6 rows by 4 rows.
Laura – Gluten & Milk-free Lifestyle
Blogger, paid Freelance writer